Thursday, April 21, 2016

Letters to Luka | One Month Update


My sweet Luka,

I can not believe that it has been one whole month since I got to lay eyes on you on the outside for the first time and hold your little warm body in my arms. 

Our first month together has been a whirlwind. In so many ways, it seems like I blinked and it was here... But at the same time I can not remember what life was before you. Even though we are all learning this new way of life together, every step of the way has felt natural. I believe it's because you are where you truly belong and I am living what I've always been meant to. 

These weeks haven't necessarily been easy but they have not been hard either. Even when I'm exhausted and we move to the couch so we can let daddy get some good sleep for work, or I have to hop out of the shower before I'm sure the conditioner has completely been washed out of my hair because I can hear you cry, or when it's one in the afternoon, I still have spit up and milk stained pajamas on, and I can't remember if I ate breakfast or brushed my teeth yet, I don't find myself complaining. My hope is to continue to enjoy all of these moments with you, for I know you will soon be two months, then three, and four, and five... And the months will all too quickly turn into years and I will yearn for these simple times when you just need me to be there. These days with you have been some of the best days of my life and I wouldn't trade a second of them for the world.



So here's the scoop on your first month, little prince.

Size
You started your life on the outside at 7 pounds and 7 ounces. Thanks for that by the way. We were all a little scared that you were going to be a chunker since mama measured big the whole time you were on the inside! When we left the hospital, you were down to 6 pounds and 13 ounces. I didn't mind because it meant I got to keep you teeny a little while longer. Just five days later, you were already almost back up to your birth weight at 7 pounds and 4 ounces! Most recently, at your three week well baby, you had weighed in at a big 9 pounds and 3 ounces! This was so very bittersweet. Sweet because it was good to know that you are a growing, healthy baby boy, but bitter because it was a reminder of how quickly time passes by. 

You've outgrown some of your newborn outfits already and have started wearing 0-3 and 3 month sizes in clothing. A few days shy of four weeks, you switched to size one diapers. Perfect timing because we were all out of size newborns anyway! Speaking of diapers.. You went through more than 232 newborns in that amount of time. That's a whole lot of diaper changes! You keep me and daddy busy. We also have learned that we like pampers and that huggies are no good. At least not for you. I think you leaked through every single one!

Health
At days old and on you were called a "c-section baby" so many times. Not because you were but because you looked perfect. Your little body was flawless. Maybe you got a special kiss from a special someone in heaven before making your big entrance into this world. Your apgar score was a 9. Made your mama and daddy proud! At your 3 week appointment, Dr. Karen said you were a perfect picture of health. I hope and pray we continue on this path! Your umbilical cord finally fell off one day shy of three weeks. I was beginning to think I would never get to give you a real bath! I think you have a little reflux. You get a little grumpy {and gassy} after nursing and spit up with your burps from time to time. Mama tries to follow the doctor's suggestions and we sometimes use gripe water. I think you like it mostly because it masks the taste of spit up for you! You also like the taste of your vitamin d drops. I was curious why you perk up when getting them so I gave it a little try. They are pretty good!

Feeding
You love to eat and have been a breastfeeding champ. Our appointment with the lactation consultant on day five was perfect. You were latching with no problem and were gaining weight back. You made me so proud and so excited that I was doing a good job for you too. We make a great team. You like to eat just about every two hours during the day still and occasionally you like to power feed every hour for a few hours. Mama was a nut and tracked every nursing session and for how long, every wet and poopy diaper, and your sleeping hours for just over two weeks. I wanted to make sure you were getting and doing what you needed but I learned very quickly that you're smart and to trust you. You wake when you're hungry and you nurse just as long as you need. If something is off, you'll let me know!

Sleep
Thank. You. In the past month, you have had four "tough" nights {two of them being the two in the hospital} and they truly weren't that tough. Since night one at home, you've been pretty great at your days and nights. We started out swaddling you "arms in" at bedtime, but you didn't like that too much at a week old. You are great at going right to sleep after your 11:30 pm nursing and you give me a big 4-4 1/2 hour stretch! After that, you sleep for two to three more hours before wanting to nurse again. We've had only two nights so far of moving to the couch after 3am because you wanted to wake up every hour. You sleep in your bassinet next to my side of the bed until daddy's alarm starts going off. Then daddy usually says, "give me that baby" and cuddles you until he gets up for work. You make the silliest noises while you sleep and I love falling asleep to the sound of you.  

You
You are a pro at funny faces. The "cheerio" is one of my favorites, where you push your tiny lips out into a circle like a cheerio! Another favorite is when you are sleepy and being lazy. You want to be involved in what's going on but don't want to really wake up so you just peek at the world with one eye like popeye. You also make a lot of judgmental looking faces. No intentional smiles yet but I can't wait for the day when you give me repeated smiles. A strong little boy you are, holding your head up and moving it from side to side. Your froggy legs give big kicks constantly... Just like in my belly. You've found your thumb and your voice. We've taken you out on the town quite a few times and you've been great. We always have your fooler and white noise app on stand by just in case!

Things you like
  • Being held and cuddled
  • Sleeping on mama and daddy's chests
  • Your rock and play sleeper
  • Mam pacifiers
  • Your owl vibrating soother
  • Making crazy dinosaur noises
  • Dancing with mama and listening to me sing to you
  • Bath time!
  • Looking at faces
  • The sounds on our sound sleeper app
  • Hanging out in the wrap
  • Going for walks in the stroller

I'm so glad that I get to be your Mama and I can't wait to know you more, sweet Luka. 

Love Forever,
Your Mama





















No comments:

Post a Comment